It’s not too late to get your Christmas fruitcake ready for the big day – here’s a great recipe for a fancy festive fruit cake with a little extra fruitiness.
Love it or hate it, fruitcake has long been the signature baked good of the festive period that never dies (literally – there are a few century-old fruitcakes in existence). It has also travelled to space and given the small town of Claxton in Georgia, USA a claim to fame as the “Fruitcake Capital of the World”.
You will need:
- 800g Dried Fruit (sultanas, currents, raisins)
- 100ml Booze (brandy, rum) OR orange juice
- 225g dark brown sugar
- 225g soft unsalted butter
- 4 eggs
- 225g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 75g mixed peel
- 75g glace cherries
- 100g nuts (almonds, hazelnuts)
- More booze or orange juice for feeding!
Feed your fruitcake every day until decoration day – Charl decorates hers on Christmas Eve.