Fancy getting a bit crafty? Or in need of a project to keep the kids occupied for a while?
It’s really easy to make salt dough ornaments and you probably already have everything you need in your cupboard. Why not give it a go this weekend?
You will need…
250g plain flour (plus extra for dusting)
125g table salt
Glitter, paint (acrylic works best if you have it), pens etc for decorating
String / ribbon
1. Preheat your oven to the lowest setting, line a tray with baking paper and flour your work surface.
2. Add the flour and salt to a large bowl and stir them together. Then add the water into the bowl and keep stirring until the mixture comes together into a ball.
3. Move the dough to your floured work surface and shape it into your Christmas decorations. You can roll it out and cut out stars, angels and Christmas trees or if you’re feeling really adventurous you can try moulding the dough into 3D sculptures. Whatever you decide to do remember to add a holes to the top so that later you can add a ribbon and hang them on your tree!
4. Put your finished decorations on the lined baking sheet and bake for 3 hours or until they are solid. Take out of the oven and leave them to cool down completely.
5. Now for the best bit, decorate your ornaments with paint (acrylic works best if you have it), pens, glitter or anything else you have handy. Once they’re done thread some string or ribbon through the hole at the top and add them to your tree!