Junior Frontend Web Developer
Barques is looking to expand its digital team with the addition of a Junior web developer who will join a tight-knit company to deliver key projects to a wealth of clients.
As a junior web developer, you will work within our highly skilled development team on a variety of exciting projects where you will support on the frontend build of mainly WordPress websites and also be responsible for your own smaller projects such as holding pages and email templates.
We’re looking for someone who can bring the same enthusiasm and energy into every project and grow their experience and skills through working on projects and collaborating with the development team.
This role is for employment on a permanent basis working at our office in central Birmingham but we’re open to flexible working on request.
Required skills and experience
This role is diverse and will require you to work on coding websites (based on existing designs), building WordPress templates from scratch, and helping out when required with content entry and population tasks. The role will be more front-end focused but the applicant will need a working understanding of PHP.
Your skill set should include:
- Understanding/experience of CSS preprocessors (e.g. Sass) and/or CSS frameworks (e.g. Tailwind CSS)
- Experience with modern JS frameworks (React or Vue) is a bonus
- Understanding of/experience with version control (Git)
- Understanding of/experience with WordPress/Wordpress templates
- Passion for coding and an eagerness to learn
The approach you need to bring to the role:
- Exhibit a passion for digital excellence and bring it every day
- A self-starter who is happy to create a vision and own the delivery
- Ability to work quickly and flexibly, with the mental agility to make good decisions and embed learning
- A natural collaborator who enjoys working with the internal team but also speaking with clients on occasion
- Willing to embrace all aspects of working in a growing business, from strategic thinking to creating processes and training guides
What will be expected of you?
At first, you will most likely be:
- Assisting with project setup – learning processes and how things fit together
- Making amends to existing projects based on client and internal feedback
- Creating HTML email templates
Eventually, you will be:
- Taking ownership of projects from start to finish
- Working closely with the rest of our team to deliver these projects
- Working on a wider variety of projects with a larger scope
- Still learning
In time, we think you should be:
- Writing high-quality code that is understood by others and runs within any performance requirements
- Being solely responsible for delivering the technical parts of a project
- Fixing bugs and sharing what was learned from these occasions
- Liaising with project management team when technical input is required
- Providing technical guidance to the wider team
- Always learning!
What we offer
As well as the usual suspects, including a pension plan and a competitive salary, we also offer:
- 30 days holiday, including bank holidays, plus extra time off for Christmas (including Christmas Eve)
- A relaxed working atmosphere at our home in the heart of Birmingham with great transportation links and within walking distance to some of the best pubs, restaurants and bars the city has to offer
- Some good old fashioned fun – we like spending time together and love the odd after work tipple