Barques is looking to expand its digital team with the addition of a backend web developer who will join a tight-knit company to deliver key projects to a wealth of clients.
As a PHP Developer you will work within our highly skilled development team on a variety of exciting projects. Focusing on backend web development you will take ownership of, and will be expected to lead, the development aspects of these projects.
We’re looking for someone who can hit the ground running and can bring the same enthusiasm and energy to every project.
This role is for employment on a permanent basis working at our office in central Birmingham but we’re open to flexible working on request.
Required skills and experience
- Object-Oriented PHP
- SQL (MySQL)
- MVC Frameworks (Laravel, CodeIgniter etc.)
- WordPress development (not just administration)
- Magento (able to maintain)
- Basic CSS
- Server Maintenance (Forge, cPanel, etc)
- Creating & Integrating Third-party APIs
Nice to haves:
- GulpJS, Parcel or Webpack
- Templating Languages (Blade, Twig etc.)
- Experience with CI/CD
- Consuming/Integrating Rest APIs & GraphQL
- Understanding of Web Accessibility
The approach you need to bring to the role:
- Be a leader and head up the development team
- The mindset to think beyond brochure websites, with a clear focus on outcomes
- Exhibit a passion for digital excellence and bring it every day
- A self-starter who is happy to create a vision and own the delivery
- Ability to work quickly and flexibly, with the mental agility to make good decisions and embed learning
- A natural collaborator who enjoys working with the internal team but also speaking with clients on occasion
- Willing to embrace all aspects of working in a growing business from strategic thinking to creating processes and training guides and instigating best practices
What we offer
As well as the usual suspects, including a pension plan and a competitive salary, we also offer:
- 30 days holiday, including bank holidays, plus extra time off for Christmas (including Christmas Eve)
- A relaxed working atmosphere at our home in the heart of Birmingham with great transportation links and within walking distance to some of the best pubs, restaurants and bars the city has to offer
- Some good old fashioned fun – we like spending time together and love the odd after-work tipple
This is an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic and ambitious person to join a team where your ideas and opinion will be valued. If you’re interested or would like to know more information about this role, get in touch – we’d love a chat!